Local Community Cancer Champion Project in Sandwell and West Birmingham
Overall aim of the Sandwell and West Birmingham Community Cancer Champion project;
- To recruit and educate volunteers from the general public to equip them with skills to develop and implement signposting within their communities to improve outcomes in relation to prevention, screening and early diagnosis of cancer.
- Build a sustainable approach to supporting this cohort of volunteers, and develop ongoing quality improvement via a Community Cancer Champion forum
- Provide a workbook to Community Cancer Champions and resources to be able to refer to for on- going support.
- Provide information to be able to give myth busting facts, to encourage more people to attend their screening appointments.
What is involved?
- The overall objective of this role is to improve patient outcomes in relation to prevention, screening and early diagnosis of cancer.
- The role simply requires you to take top tips and best practice back to your community setting/ hub and help to improve awareness around cancer screening and early diagnosis.
- It is hoped that you will have lots of opportunities to share the good things you have learnt about.
As a Community Cancer Champion, we would like you to:
Attend a 2.5 hour long virtual ‘Let’s Talk Cancer’ workshop. Delivered by Cancer Research UK.
- Followed by an hour reflection event on 26th November 12 – 1 pm
- Develop your own community led action plans based on what you think should be prioritised in your community.
- Share, and receive, ideas and best-practice with other people from other communities, just like yours, via our community cancer champion forum
We would like to hear from you if you:
- Work/ volunteer in a community hub or group.
- Are interested in improving cancer awareness, encouraging early diagnosis and outcomes for your community.
- Want to learn more about cancer and how your role as a Community Cancer Champion can really make a difference.
- Are able to commit a little of your time to support this venture
No prior skills or knowledge around cancer are required at all as full training is given. All we want is for you to want to help improve outcomes.
You will receive a certificate on completion of the training.
You will receive an invitation to a network event with other cancer champions across Dudley, Walsall, Wolverhampton, Sandwell and West Birmingham, to share good ideas and lessons learnt.
If you are interested in taking part please contact The Living With and Beyond Cancer Team, Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS Trust on 0121 507 3817 or email us at email@example.com.
It goes without saying the value of the workshop in helping to break down the barriers of cancer and encouraging people to engage with their healthcare services, especially in the current crisis.