Future arrangements for NHS Commissioning across the Black Country and West Birmingham
On 3rd September 2020 we held a virtual Insight meeting to discuss the future arrangements for NHS commissioning across the Black Country and West Birmingham.
Our speakers for this event were from Sandwell and West Birmingham CCG Michelle Carolan Managing Director, and Dr Ian Sykes, Chair
A copy of the presentation and the recording of the meeting is below
Midland Metropolitan Hospital Update – 23rd January 2020
At our meeting on 23rd January Jayne Dunn the Director of Commissioning at Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust came along to give an update on the Midland Met Hospital following the confirmation that the construction work is to resume.
Jayne explained how, when the new hospital opens, the current Sandwell hospital site will become the Sandwell Treatment Centre which will include:
• Urgent Care to over 35,000 attendances 24/7
• Outpatient and diagnostic access for planned care as now
• Day and short stay surgery
• Intermediate care and rehabilitation services including stroke rehab
• Chemotherapy and medical infusion ambulatory care
• All non-clinical office space plus our Clinical Research Facility and main Education Centre
The current City Hospital site will become Dudley Road and will provide:
• Outpatient and diagnostic access for planned care as now in the Birmingham Treatment Centre
• Day and short stay surgery in the Birmingham Treatment Centre
• The Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre, including the regional eye casualty
• Intermediate care and rehabilitation services in the refurbished Sheldon Unit
The presentation given by Jayne can be viewed below.
Questions asked by the audience about Midland Met and other topics discussed at the meeting were:
Support for Carers
- With the disappearance of the Carers Organisation will there be a replacement service?
- How is funding allocated by the CCG to GP’s for development of monitored?
- What do GP’S spend this money on?
- What is the intention of CCG regarding the patient voice that is heard via PPG – how is the response recorded?
- Would it be possible to hold a PPG awareness event in June?
- Is there an update to the transport plan? Will there be pressure placed on transport services?
- Are consultations with the residents that live locally to the new hospital as parking will have an impact on residential streets/ What are the plans to combat that?
- What support is going to be given to those who are not confident in suing a digital system?
- How will those who don’t have access to a pc be able to receive information or find out information/
Charges for prescription delivery
- We have been charged for delivery of prescriptions. This is going to be really expensive – is this right?
We will get the answers to these question and update at a later date.